The new album entitled After the Laughter has been posted. We are getting ready for its digital release by Max Recordings. Soon after that, we will be pressing a few physical CDs. Stay tuned for updates.
For those of you who like to know the Behind the Music type details, here are a few.
- I think that’s pretty obvious that I was listening a lot to records by Bobby Charles, Ry Cooder, and NRBQ when I wrote this album.
- There was a conscious decision to include more backing vocals on this record.
- The backing vocals on ends of I Was Wrong, I Ain’t No Poet, and The Pills Are Different Now are inspired by those on Randy Newman’s “I Love L.A.”
- Jason and I are uncredited for playing piano and vibes, respectively, on the title track, After the Laughter.
- The verses for Stayed On Too Long were originally in a song I wrote called We Lost .
- Many of the chord changes in these songs were intentionally kept simple, but I tried to use non-obvious key changes as a mode for sophistication.
So that’s just a little bit of extra information about this record. If you give it a listen, I hope you like it. It was definitely fun for me to make.